This is the site for columnist Rick Quick, and sories of his redneck life. A real experience in southern humor!

Name:
Location: Louisiana

I have 3 kids, a mortgage, a car note, a dog, a kitchen table with chairs held together by bailing wire, my house is furnished in an motiff called "Early Garage Sale", and I own 11 vehicles, strung between my yard, my parents yard, my grandmother's yard, my shop, my best friends shop, another friends shop, and one is still at my ex-wife's ex-boyfriends.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Is That Love To Me?

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

I see the above on a lot of things. You can find it on billboards, on placards at Walmart, and you will see it scribed all over various websites, in all types of itenerations. The words may be slightly changed, but the meaning is the same.

Few people realize that is 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Yeah, I'm a redneck who has been known to quote a bible verse or two at times. Get over it!

These days, we so rarely go through the process of defining what love is . Too often it's just a word that is used to get a certain reaction. You want someone to do something for you? Just tell them you love them. You want them to go away? Tell them you love them too much. They still won't do what you want? Threaten to not love them anymore.

The word is used so much, that the meaning has totally been lost.

But what I really like about the verses above, are that they define what love actually is, and to a greater degree, what it is not. It's kind, it's patient, and it stands through all things. It's not manipulative, vengeful, or used as a weapon to get others to love us.

And more importantly, and people tend to forget this: Love is forever. You can't just un-love someone.

Now that last statement always causes a few problems. People all the time tell each opther "I hate you", and think Hate is the opposite of love. It isn't. Hate is a simple way of saying "I love you, and I can not stand to be around someone I love that does what you do". Think about that for a second.

"I love you and I can not stand to be around someone I love that does what you do". See, there isn't a "but" in there. It's an "and". That's because both statements are true. If someone cheated on you, and you hate them for it, what you are really saying is that you can't stand to be around them because of their actions. You still feel the love, and that is what is at the center of your emotions.

The opposite of love is all together different: it's total apathy. You have no feelings at all for a person. they might as well have been born on a different planet.

I want it understood what I mean when I say "I Love you", It means exactly that: I love you today, tomorrow, and forever, no arrogance, no games, unprovoked, nothing in return expected, or needed. We may not always agree, we may not be able to stand to be around each other, but that love never stops and it never ever goes away, even in the darkest of times. It is always there, has always been there, and will always be there. It's my choice, and nothing you can do will ever stop that love.

Love is not a game to be played; it's the highest form of respect and honor that anyone can show to and for you. Treat it with honor, as it will always honor you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home