This is the site for columnist Rick Quick, and sories of his redneck life. A real experience in southern humor!

Name:
Location: Louisiana

I have 3 kids, a mortgage, a car note, a dog, a kitchen table with chairs held together by bailing wire, my house is furnished in an motiff called "Early Garage Sale", and I own 11 vehicles, strung between my yard, my parents yard, my grandmother's yard, my shop, my best friends shop, another friends shop, and one is still at my ex-wife's ex-boyfriends.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jeepers! A Creeper!

I took the family on vacation this week. We're a small group: me and 3 kids. We went to a collection of amusement parks and waterparks, which is something we have all discussed doing through the years. As with all vacations, some things work, and some things don't. This may be the last vacation we all get together due to the kid's growing up, and so I hope it has been memorable for them.

As we waited in line for different rides and such, I took the time to look around. What I saw was that I was just about the only person my age participating. Most of the others were lounging around or hanging out, still there, but not in the middle of things. And to that end, it did make me kind of sad.

Being a single parent means that you do a lot of things alone, even when you're with your children. You go to games, plays, school events, and most everything else that your children do, but all the joy, or terror for that matter, that creates memories stays inside you, as there is no one to talk to about it. And that part really sucks sometimes.

I really try not to think about that too much, but I'm only human so it does rear it's ugly head every now and then. I'm very fortunate to have lived a great life, have some great children, and have accomplished pretty much everything that I ever wanted. But at times I still long for that connection, the one that shares everything and adds to the memories.

Will I ever get that? Who knows. Right now I just have to tell myself to keep doing what I do, and to keep creating those memories. When I am long gone, I'd like some of the memories folks have of me to be good ones!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home